Tuesday, August 13, 2013

RestrainedLove Viewer 2.8.5.1

Hello again,

It has been brought to my attention that the latest RLV wasn't working for those who use SL Voice, simply because one of its libraries was not compatible with the ones contained in the official SL viewer anymore. I don't know why, nor what I did wrong, but the issue was so bad that you couldn't even use the RLV properly without a fix. The viewer would complain about something missing in ortp.dll, then it would slow down so much that it would be unusable (about 1 frame per second or even less). You wouldn't get this issue unless you used Voice and were in a voice-enabled region.

So here is the fix :

Until now you would copy SLVoice.exe and the three vivox libraries from the SL viewer to your RLV in order to use Voice. It just so happens that a fifth file needs to be copied : ortp.dll.

You can get this file from your official SL viewer installation, overwriting the one in the RLV folder (since that one is not compatible), and it should work.

I'm uploading a new RLV without this ortp.dll file, and with an updated readme, just to avoid confusing the users. You don't really need to download it again if you have downloaded RLV 2.8.5, simply follow the instructions above to fix this problem yourself.


You can grab the viewer here :
http://www.erestraint.com/realrestraint

The MD5 hash for the Windows package is
3dd6f917a7a2374dd133dc3044e4dfe7




Now, another issue I've stumbled upon yesterday : the materials feature completely breaks invisiprims when using the deferred renderer (aka "lighting & shadows", aka "advanced lighting model"). You may have noticed that I have struggled over the last year to keep providing support for them, even knowing it is a hack and is meant to be forgotten after a while.

Problem is, some of my products (and I'm not the only one in this case) rely on a feature that only invisiprims could provide : the ability to hide and show some parts of the avatar mesh by script. When you wear an invisiprim and turn it even partially transparent, it stops hiding the avatar mesh underneath. This is neat when you want to make an attachment appear on you while hiding some parts of your body, just by clicking, and it would not even require an RLV.

Now this is not working anymore, and I don't see what I can do to make it work again. Even the hack is broken. So what I am going to do (and should have done long ago) is create alpha layers for some of my products (namely the Isolation Hood, the Armbinder and the Tape Gag) and make the avatar wear them forcibly when locked, a bit like the Mousewheel and Treadmill do when the sub is hitched. I wish I didn't need to do that, but LL leaves me no choice.





Have fun and sorry for the inconvenience,
Marine

PS : Thank you Starfire Desade for the heads-up !